Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Birthday 'Pac

Today would have been Tupac Amaru Shakur's 38th birthday. A modern pop music legend and hip-hop iconoclast, 'Pac's legacy is likely to live on for at least a couple more decades. More than 12 years after his death, his life looms large still. Hip-hop's very own James Dean, 'Pac was one of the most complex and contradictory figures in modern pop music. His defiant stance was always balanced by a noble charm, a charismatic force of nature who made up his own rules as he went along.
I can't say I always cared for his music (or his caricature), but I have never denied his absolute necessity to the game. He was John Lennon, Gram Parsons, Sam Cooke and Bob Marley rolled into one, a rebellious martyr who felt every moment, entering in a flash and exiting in a fury.
Here is one of my favorite 'Pac songs, "If My Homies Call" off his debut album “2Pacalypse Now.”
Thug in Peace big homie.



No comments: