Monday, February 23, 2009

Former North Salinas High School student Dustin Lance Black wins Academy Award

He spent part of his childhood in Salinas and now Dustin Lance Black is an Academy Award winning writer.
Black won in the Best Original Screenplay category for his work on the film "Milk" which also earned Sean Penn a best actor trophy for portraying the slain civil rights activist Harvey Milk. In his speech, judged by some Hollywood writers as the most eloquent of the night, Black gave a nod to his family, Milk, and the spirit of the gay rights movement.

"I want to thank my mom, who has always loved me for who I am . . . ," he said. "But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he'd want me to say to all the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures who have value. And that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you."

No comments: