Thursday, January 15, 2009

American Idol: Sorry people, I tried

I really tried getting into the season premier of American Idol on Tuesday, really I did. I put it on right at 8 p.m. and sat there with my laptop on, trying to edit this video I'm working on for The Joint Venture (more on that in a later blog), but I just couldn't do it.

I got as far as the first hour, sort of half-watching the intro to the new judge and how wonderful she is, then the train-wreck contestants who don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it, like the one guy who was doing pop locking/majorette dance moves and had a big afro, or the one deep-voiced guy who sounded like a cross between Louis Armstrong and Boris Karloff, and the one wimpy rocker dude who had all the rock stuff down except the fact that he couldn't actually sing.

Every year, when AI starts up, I make an honest effort to try and blog on it, but it's really a chore. I just hate the fact that they force feed us this glop and then unleash it on the public like it's the cure for cancer and the public willingly whoofs it down and asks for more and then texts in how much they like it. The corporate tie-ins and cross promotion and the ensuing publicitsunami is maddening. It's like a giant corporate suicide bomber plants itself in your living room twice a week and threatens to push the button unless you buy something, now!

But at least I tried, and who knows, maybe I'll try next week. I just hate corny stuff is all,and American Idol is popcornstarchsyrurtrash at it's cornpop trashiest.

Where am I going with all of this anyway?

No comments: