Friday, April 23, 2010

DJ Kazzeo's tribute to Guru of Gantstarr


DJ Kazzeo shares his thoughts on the death of Guru of Gangstarr:

"Throughout the history of Hip Hop, there have been thousands of duo's that came on the scene. Of those thousands, only a handful were able to rise above the rest and attain legendary status. Run DMC, EPMD, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, and without a doubt, Gangstarr.
When I began my involvement in radio in 1991, Gangstarr was already well on the way to solidifying their legendary status.
While Premier seemed introverted at times, Guru was always accessible. Whether it was for interviews, pictures, autographs, or radio drops, Guru made the time.
I was fortunate enough to have interviewed him 3 or 4 times on my radio show, DJ a show for his Jazzmatazz tour when it came to the now defunct club Palookville in Santa Cruz, and hang out with him at events ranging from Santa Cruz to San Francisco to New York.
Quite simply, Guru was a good dude. No wait, not a good dude. He was a great dude! I have so many memories of the man that it would take far too much ink to recount them all.
One of my greatest radio memories thus far is when I first rocked "Mass Appeal". That song, to me, is Guru at his absolute best.
The last time I saw him in person was in NY at a showcase maybe 3 years ago and he was as healthy as could be. And in less time than it takes to go through high school, he's gone.
I'll always remember his personable & jovial attitude along with his immense talent & love for Hip Hop. Whether it be at a 15,000 seat arena or a 300 person capacity club, Guru loved representing Hip Hop. And he did so as well as, if not better than, anyone for the last 23 years.
My condolences go out to the friends & fans of Guru and to the entire Elam family.
Guru, R.I.P.".

DJ Kazzeo
90.9FM KHDC

No comments: