Monday, April 27, 2009

I Survived the 2009 NEA Arts Journalism Institute in Theatre and Musical Theatre

I've been off my blogging game the past two weeks, but for good reason. I recently completed my first professional fellowship with the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Arts Journalism Institute in Theatre and Musical Theatre, hosted by USC's Annenberg School of Journalism.
I can't really put into words what the experience was like, and I don't have time to shoot a quick interpretive dance film. All I can say for now is that in 10 days, we packed in 9 shows, four writing assignments, one group digital media project, more than a dozen master classes and lectures, a reading of my first-ever one-act play, and the joy of meeting and sharing ideas with 22 of the brightest arts journalism minds in the country. Serious.
I'll be posting some theatre reviews and various recaps as the week drudges on, but for now, I'm content to get back into the newsroom swing and try to return to normal everyday life. It will be a tough call after the time I spent down in So-Cal, but I can safely say it's good to be home.

No comments: