Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Who deserves 5 Mics?

Earlier this week, The Source announced it was awarding a 5 Mic review for the first time five years (although that's a dubious distinction, since the last album to earn the rating, Lil Kim's "The Naked Truth" was rumored to be a fix).
In an unusual twist, the magazine released a list of albums in line for the honor: The Roots "How I Got Over," Drake "Thank Me Later," Bun B "Trill OG," Big Boi "Sir Luscious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty," Eminem "Recovery," Rick Ross "Teflon Done," and Fat Joe "The Darkside."
You can read the full listing here.
Out of all those choices, I have not heard Bun and Joe, so I can't say whether either is worth of 5 Mic status.
The ones I have heard, I'm stuck between three: "How I Got Over," "Sir Luscious Leftfoot..." and "Teflon Don."
"HIGO" is a personal favorite, and I feel completely biased in endorsing it because of my devotion to The Roots.
"SLL..." is a solid pick because of Big Boi's pedigree as a 5 Mic alumni (he previously earned the title with Outkast's "Aquemini), plus the album is an absolute winner.
"Teflon Don" is the dark horse. Ross delivered a solid album, short and sweet with killer track after killer track. His current popularity is also a big draw. One thing he lacks is lyrics, which may prevent him from earning 5 Mics.
In the end, I believe Big Boi will earn the distinction, although I'm pulling for The Roots. And I wouldn't be surprised if those two cancel each other out and Ross creeps in there for the win.
What do you think?


No comments: