Monday, November 26, 2007

Live in Monterey: Vent and Aaron Hagar



I got in right at the end of the Bend's set on Saturday night at The Mucky Duck in Monterey. The band was settling into the first of three encore's, all covers. From what I remember, they ran through Alice In Chain's "Man in a Box," Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and closed it off with Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl." They may have done one more song, but I can't recall because I stumbled upon the show as a very last minute thing and didn't even have time to grab a napkin and take notes.

The most noteworthy part of the show (aside from the music, which was pretty good) was the guest-performance from Aaron Hagar, son of Sammy Hagar. Aaron has a passing resemblance to his father, good vocal command and enough stage presence to hold weight without being overbearing. His best quality may be the way he eases into the song and gives you just enough to maintain its original integrity and still put his little stamp on it. Daddy would be proud.

Some myspace research revealed that Vent is from the Central Coast, primarily a cover band. They liste "Jamie's Crying" and "Orbison" as their Van Halen covers. Since I missed a good portion of their set, I'm not sure if they sang those or if Sammy Hagar sang those. What I do know is the covers I managed to hear were solid. As my friend said "At least they're doing justice to the songs."

They have a slew of dates through the end of the year at the Mucky Duck, including a New Year's Eve bash. To hear more, check www.myspace.com/ventrocks2006.

No comments: