Thursday, March 05, 2009

My first professional fellowship

I'm not one to trumpet my own arrival anywhere, but I'm pretty pleased with one recent career development: my first professional journalism fellowship.
Yours truly was chosen to participate in the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Arts Journalism Institute in Theater and Musical Theater.
Applause everyone.
For 10 days in April, I'll be working at the USC Annenberg's School of Journalism. Going to plays, attending writing workshops, and working one-on-one with prominent journalists in a master class are all part of the package.
My initial reaction was excitement. That has been doubled up as I learn more about the NEA and their mission to bring arts to everyone, from the big city to the small town barrio.
Corny as it may sound, I really believe the arts can have a positive effect on communities dealing with gang violence and other social ills. I'm honored to now be involved with an organization that seems to recognize this as well.
April's going to be an exciting month.

No comments: